Is Test & Tag a Legal Requirement ?
Here’s what the Regulations say….
- Electrical equipment used in construction work must be regularly inspected and tested in accordance with the requirements of the Workcover Code of Practice (2007) – Electrical practices for construction work.
- Chapter 5 “Inspection and Testing” –> The OHS Regulation (clause 64) requires the employer to ensure the electrical installation and electrical articles are regularly inspected, tested and maintained by a competent person to ensure they are safe.
- 5.3 Testing of plant, portable plug-in electrical equipment
All electrical plant including portable plug-in electrical equipment and flexible extension cords must be visually inspected regularly for wear and mechanical damage, and tested in accordance with AS/NZS 3760 for earth continuity and insulation resistance or leakage current.
- Inspection and testing of electrical plant, portable plug-in electrical equipment and flexible extension cords must be undertaken by a licensed electrician or a trained competent person, in accordance with the following testing intervals:
- prior to its introduction to service on a construction site
- at regular 3 monthly intervals for single unit dwelling house sites
- at regular 1 monthly intervals for all other construction work, except if an electrical equipment risk assessment report determines that inspection and testing shall be carried out by a licensed electrician at regular 3 monthly intervals.
- Tested plant, portable plug-in electrical equipment and flexible extension cords must be tagged and all test results recorded in accordance with the requirements of clause 5.6 (a) and (b).
- Maximum penalty: Level 4, Level 2 (record keeping) $30, 800
How much do the services cost ?
Test & Tag costs $5.00 per tag but is dependant on volumes and locations. There is also a new client discount and loyalty scheme.
Fire Appliance Testing is $15.00 per appliance check, but again depends upon volumes and locations.
Minor onsite repairs are $15.00 each.
Fist Aid kits cost $120 (RRP $157) + Freight